Nahdhat-Ulama Afghanistan has successfully conducted the annual conference 2018 for 100 Ulama and Women (members of NUA individuals and organization such as NECDO, WILPF, KNAHR, Imam Bokhari Madrasa, Hafsa Madrasa, ShamsulQuran Madrasa, Muddassir Madrasa) from almost all provinces of the country, with the technical and moral support of Indonesian Embassy, and UNWOMEN in Kabul.
NUA Shura members from Kabul, Representative from Indonesian Embassy, Ulama from Indonesia, Media groups, government bodies and security departments both male and female, women members of WILPF Afghanistan Group participated in the two day conference on the 11th and 12th of August 2018 under the theme (Role of Ulama in Durable Peace, Development and Economy).
NUA shura appointed a committee in advance to organize the event for the date (11th and 12th August 2018), the committee had done its job well and did all the arrangements. The issue was put forth through a former letter from NUA to the ministry of Haj (MoRA) and requested for support of the program at the same time MoFA and MoJ were informed by a formal letter from NUA to inform their concerned departments, and notify them.
The media local, national & international channels were communicated to provide coverage to the event on local, national and international level.
NUA is thankful to its respectable committee for the very good arrangement and communication they did for the conference.
NUA also highly appreciate Indonesian Embassy in particular His Excellency Mr. Arief Rachman the Ambassador of the Republic of Indonesia, the people, the government and the embassy of Indonesia as well as UNWOMEN for their technical and financial support which made this program possible to be conducted.
Thanks a lot.
Fazal Ghani Kakar
MD NECDO/ www.necdo.org.af
Founder NUA/Kabul Afghanistan
The two day NUA Annual conference begin on Saturday 11th of August, 2018 under the title (Role of Ulama in Durable Peace, Development and Economy) was held in ASSA Hotel in Kabul City. The conference was attended by 100 Ulama (70 male and 30 women), members of NUA Shura (BD) from Kabul, other provinces, representative from Indonesian Embassy, media groups, Government authorities and member of the security department. The conference was successfully completed in the evening on the 12th of August; the Ulama showed their full support to the initiative and declared their readiness to work together with Afghanistan Government and likeminded organizations for Peace, reconciliation and development. The conference was concluded by a press release which emphasized on the role of NUA and Ulama in the peace process upholding the role of Indonesia in this process.
Based on the agreement with the respected embassy of Indonesia to conduct the 2 day annual conference under the theme “Role of Ulama in Durable Peace, Development and Economy” in Kabul Afghanistan to ensure the role of NUA-Ulama in peace and reconciliation, NUA begin its preparation and contacted NUA committees throughout the country to do arrangement for such an event to be conducted in August of 2018, the activities were accomplished chronologically as below:
- NUA organizing committee did all the arrangements, communication on central & provincial level, preparing lists, sending out invitations, hotel booking and contacting local government authorities and networking with concerned government institutions
- NUA (Shura) developed agenda for the conference and sent out letters of getting support from MoRA, MoFA and MoJ
- All logistic arrangements, printing banners, posters, brochures and copying all the required administrative papers were done before the event begins
- Time to time communication with participants and the concerned government departments was done
- Held consultative meetings within NUA Shura (BD) in Kabul for updates and getting further instructions for the betterment of the conference
- Preparations were finalized for the travel of the NUA members to Kabul and moved by the 10th of August 2018 (The delegates were received in Kabul by the organizing committee)
- The conference was held successfully on 11th and 12th of August in ASSA hotel Shahr-e-Naw Kabul Afghanistan in accordance to the agenda
- The conference commenced with the recitation of few verses from Holy Quran by Mr. Qari Muhammad Murtadha member of NUA Kabul Committee followed by national anthem of Afghanistan, & a welcome speech of Mr. Kakar (Founder NUA) who introduced the goal and objective of the conference to the audience.
- Goal of this conference is to enhance Role of Ulama in Durable Peace, Development and Economy.
- Objectives of the conference:
- Renewing the commitment of NUA members (male and female) to work for durable peace in Afghanistan
- Providing the opportunity for the Afghan Ulama to exchange views and expertize with each other.
- Broadening the role of Ulama in peace, development, economy and protection of human rights in the lights of Islam and the constitution of Afghanistan
- Provision of an opportunity for NUA members’ better coordination and cooperation on provincial level
- Deepening the understanding of the 5 principals of NUA, Moderation, Social Justice, Tolerance, Balance and Participation among the new members
- Introducing NUA program to the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, civil Society, international community and political parties
After that Mr. Sayed Salahuddin Hashami elected Head of NUA presented the annual activity report of NUA through a video. During his presentation he emphasized on participation of women is important in such conferences because women are the ones who are mostly effected in war so they should have a significant role in peace process The program went in accordance to the plan and the agenda the speeches of the delegates from Province were welcomed by the participants and in particular the dynamic speech of his Excellency Mr. Arief Rachman the ambassador of the republic of Indonesia. He Said,
Assalamu’alaikum Wr. Wb.
Let us pray to our Almighty God, Allah SWT, for His wisdoms and blessings to make us possible to gather here today to hold a Nahdatul Ulama Afghanistan (NUA) Annual Conference 2018 attended by prominent ulamas across Afghanistan.
I would like to extend my sincere appreciation to Honourable Maulana Sayed Slahuddin Hashemi for his leadership and stewardship of Nahdatul Ulama Afghanistan along the year 2017-2018 that brings Nahdatul Ulama Afghanistan (NUA) to focus on spreading Islam as rahmatan lillalimin which are tolerance, moderate, participant, balance, and justice. Of course, I would also like to welcome our guests, my brothers and sisters, ulamas from various provinces in Afghanistan. Your presence here shows a very strong commitment to promote peace as well as strengthen the relations between the ulamas across Afghanistan.
Last but not least, I would also like to take this opportunity to express my utmost gratitude to Dr. Fazal Ghani Kakar and his team from NECDO who have contributed so much in preparing and organizing this important conference.
Ladies and gentlemen,
Last year, Nahdhatul Ulama Afghanistan had successfully conducted the annual conference 2017 for 165 Ulama From almost all provinces of Afghanistan. Media groups, government bodies and security departments male and female participated in the two day conference on the 15th and 16th of May 2017 in Safi Landmark Hotel, under the theme (Role of ULAMA –NUA- in Peace, Development, respect to human rights and love with humanity). The committee had done its job well and did all the arrangements. For this, I thank you again.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Ulamas hold a very important role in the society. Ulamas are considered as leaders of the society in which the people of Afghanistan look up to. Ulamas have the capacity to mobilize grass root societies, and help them shape a mindset that will determine who they will become, and how they will act in the future.
Let us follow the footsteps of our Prophet Muhammad SAW, who always upholds and practices peaceful values in His precious and valuable daily life. Our Prophet Muhammad SAW always taught us that Muslims are brothers, not enemies who tend to hurt, or even take each other’s lives. Rasulullah (Peace be Upon Him) said “The parable of the believers in their affection, mercy, and compassion for each other is that of a body. When any limb aches, the whole body reacts with sleeplessness and fever.”
Indonesia, as the biggest Muslim majority country in the world, would not remain silent and idle. We have commitment to help our brothers and sisters in Afghanistan by many possible ways. In the issue of peace and reconciliation, we have been promoting the role of Ulamas in Afghanistan since years ago. Indonesia hosted the Indonesian and Afghanistan Ulema Conference in Jakarta, 20 – 24 November 2017 and Trilateral Ulama Conference (Afghanistan, Indonesia and Pakistan) in Bogor on 5 May 2018. Indonesia, as a Non-Permanent Member of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for period of 2019-2020, will make Afghanistan as a focus of attention to achieve peace in the future based on Afghan led process/Afghan owned process. Indonesia and Afghanistan all together, spread the slogan: “damai itu indah, peace is beautiful for all”.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
If you allow me to share my thought what Ulema can do in the future, among others, are:
- Ulema should guard the unitary of the country. Indonesia has many Ulamas who defended the unitary state of the Republic of Indonesia from colonial power. Our hero of Independence 1945 was Ulama, General Soedirman and other hundreds of heroes such as Bung Tumo and Abdul Rahman Saleh.
- Ulama should promote peace. Indonesia has many Ulamas who denounce violence and torch harmony in society. Nahdatul Ulama and Muhammdiyah Organization in Indonesia, among others, from the long history have become the solid rock to maintain the harmony among different communities, between man and women, between Islam and Christian/minorities, between different ethnic groups, between rich and poor, between educated and uneducated, between healthy and sick, and so on.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Upon completion of this conference, I hope our fellow Afghan Ulamas could continue to convey positive messages to their respective societies, to lead them, and guide them in the right direction, a path that is painted by only one single color, the color of peace. Insya Allah, Allah SWT will give His blessings for those of us who contribute to establish a virtuous society. (Amin)
I wish you all a fruitful conference.
- During the tea break a group photos was pitched by the participants, delegates, Ulama and NUA Shura members (male and female)
- The speakers supported the 5 principals of NUA (Moderation, Social Justice, Tolerance, Balance and Participation and Role of Afghan women in peace and Reconciliation)
- Sayeda Pari one of the panelists said: “If women get involved in peace process we can have fair peace in society”.
- Hamida Lisani in her speech during the panel said “peace is Allah’s blessing. Peace is prosperity for humans’ mandate of the rules. People who are in bad situations can understand the word peace. Both youths and elders need. We can call a woman as the symbol of happiness and peace. Woman presents great character individuals to the society. Mothers have duty toward their country to make their children aware of their responsibilities toward their homeland. And they should pay attention to their children’s education”.
- The provincial committees thanked NUA shura (BD) for the initiative and appreciated the support of respected embassy of Indonesia for the technical and financial support to facilitate the conference, they all in their speeches emphasized on the role of Ulama in peace and showed their commitment to work together with the Ulama in the country for this holy cause, they said peace is as blood for the life of development and progress even the worship cannot be fulfilled without peace.
- The Financial self-reliance plan was introduced by Mr. Kakar through a power point presentation and the committee of NUA in the provincial committees was given the responsibility to work for ensuring the plan.
- The election for this year: Mr. Dr. Sulaiman Nasery was re-elected as deputy head because he did not have competitor so everybody voted and agreed for him to remain as Deputy Director.
- Later the Final statement (Press Release ) was recited by Mr. Fazal Ghani Kakar , The statement consist of 9 points below:
- Article #1: NUA of Afghanistan condemned that persistence of war and violence is for the benefit of nobody, and demands the immediate end of the war and understanding and discussing the issues involved in the war is the only reasonable solution to the end of the imposed war.
- Article #2: NUA support the decision and the fatwa of the Ulama’s Council regarding the on-going war in the country and call for it to be implemented as soon as possible.
- Article #3: NUA also supports the joint declaration by the scholars & Ulama of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Indonesia in the city of Bogor, Indonesia.
- Article #4: NUA strongly support the declaration of the Ulama of the Islamic world in the holy city of Makkah, which has been made religiously for the sake of clarifying the state of war and demands action as soon as possible.
- Article #5: NUA denies any misuse of the name and title of Islam from the destructive intelligence organizations and its mercenary agents in the country and the region, and strongly condemns it. They are asking the authorities to take action to prevent it.
- Article #6: The NUA does not allow anyone to use any means to use the Ulama as tool
- Article #7: NUA condemns any insult to the sacraments and sects of Islam from any person, any reference or country.
- Article#8: NUA consider the Holy religion of Islam: The religion of peace, coexistence, and justice. Anything which is illogical and outrageous notions of justice and conscience is considered not only as blame to the dignity of Islam and Muslims also they strongly condemned it.
- Article #9: NUA as a progressive religious and social movement are ready to cooperate with all the internal and external authorities that are working to consolidate peace and stability and security and progress in our country.
(NUA/12th August 2018-Kabul Afghanistan)
- Followed by the exchange of gifts to the Indonesian delegates and personal contact exchanges among the Ulama
- The written Evaluation was conducted by the technical NUA staff and the program was concluded by the Duaa by Mr. Maulana Tajuddin Noori NUA member from Badakhshan and one of the prominent Ulama of that Province.
- Conclusion and Views of some participants:
NUA once again is thankful to the respected Embassy of Indonesia for the technical and financial support of the conference
- Aziza a female participant wrote in her evaluation paper, “I learned good things from this conference, it was very meaningful, and relaxing, I am proud to have been part of this, and would love to be part of such events in the future”.
- Quderatullah Lashkari one of the male Ulama wrote in his evaluation paper, “being part of this conference was a great privilege to me. It was really effective and helpful I learned a lot useful things. I request from organizers to arrange this kind of programs frequently”.
- Tajuddin from Badkhhsan province another male Ulama wrote, “This conference made me hopeful to the future that Ulama can have a great impact on peace process. I suggest they arrange this type of conference in provinces as well in the future”.
- Shogofa from Balkh province one of Women participants from Ulama wrote, “I am grateful and I thank the organizers of this conference from the bottom of my heart. As we all know in most the peace conferences and process women are not involved at all and I think having women participants in this conference was a great move. It was really great that we had women participants not only from Kabul but other provinces as well. I think we should have such conference to motivate women to be part of the peace process. The conference was really effective and useful I learned a lot from it”.
NUA also awarded the following members for the best performance:
- Abudul Sattar Hayat member of the Shura
- Saida Pary from Women Wing NUA and member of WILPF Afghanistan Group
- Alireza Hussaini common member NUA
The following dignitaries were given the honorary membership of NUA:
- E. Mr. Mawlawi Qiyamuddin Kashaf Head Afghanistan Ulama Council
- E Mr. Mawlawi Muhammd Qasim Halimi Deputy MoJ
- E Mr. Abdul Hakim Mujahid Member of HPC
- Agenda of the Conference
- Photo report of the conference activities
- Financial Report and support document
- List of VIP Participants and Media