Location: Ministry of Women Affairs
Date: 13th and 14th of 0ctober 2015
Short description on support and advocacy for the EVAW from perspective of Islam project:
KNAHR accomplished its 18 months project by name of support and advocacy for the EVAW from perspective of Islam, which started on 16th May 2014 and finished on 15th Nov 2015.
KNAHR analysed the articles of the EVAW law from the viewpoint of Islamic orders in reduction of saying of the Members of the Parliaments, religious leaders and ordinary people. Moreover KNAHR has done a survey and an ideological research report on existed problems and gaps on governmental and non-governmental departments.
KNAHR has shared the outcomes and findings of the both report (Analysis on EVAW law and gender research report) in the 2 days training workshops for 1710 person in five province of the Afghanistan.
Although KNAHR sponsored the production and broadcasting of the radio and TV programs and disseminated posters and other awareness material to the residents of the five provinces for support and advocacy of the EVAW.
The aim of KNAHR Behind the conducting of the national conference on support and advocacy for the EVAW law was, sharing the analytical reports from the perspective of Sharia which has prepared by academic lawyers and scholars, sharing of the research reports about the existed gaps in Gender departments of governmental and non-governmental organizations, sharing of the Information about the training workshops on EVAW law, sharing of the gender research reports of five provinces (Kabul, Wardak, Parwan, Paktia and Badakhshan), collaborating of thousand signatures in support of the EVAW law from the point of view of Islam, creation of networking and communication between civil society activists and supporters of the EVAW law across the country.
Preparations to organize a national conference on support of the EVAW law:
Karama network started its preparation for organizing of the national conference in support of the EVAW law since July 2015; followings are the activities which have done;
- Meeting with the participants of the training workshops and take their biography.
- Conducting of the coordination meeting with the government authorities (ministers, MPs, and presidential advisors) non-governmental organizations (heads of the international organizations and NGOs) and taking their biography.
- Choosing of the people and coordinate with them to have a speech on conference from Kabul and other provinces.
- Taking and checking of the individuals articles that will have speech at conference from Kabul and other provinces.
- Preparing of the attendees list, M&E forms, registration list, agenda, participants list of the governmental and non-governmental organizations and invitation letters formats.
- Logistic preparation.
- Printing of the analytical reports of the EVAW law, Biographies and articles, invitation letters, banners and the scroll.
- Prepare the stationary, hotel reservation for the incoming guests from the provinces, also hotel, tea and food for the conference participants.
- Technical preparations.
- Administrative and financial preparation
- Reservation and preparation of the conference hall.
- Distribution of the invitation letters hand by hand or by email through the Karama network employees.
- Singing of the scroll thru 1000 people.
Participants: In the support and advocacy for the EVAW Law conference from perspective of Islam we had 361 participants including women, Ulema, intelligentsias, civil society activists, advisors of the presidential office, ministers, deputy of the ministers, gender authorities, teachers, scholars, students, collectors and other employees of the governmental and non-governmental organizations at ministry of the women affairs of Afghanistan, Zainab hall on 13th and 14th, of October 2015, also KNAHR has finished signing of the scroll by 1000 people from EVAW law from the perspective of Islam.
In this conference minister of women affairs Ms. Dilbar Nazari, Ms, Habiba Wahaj gender advisor of the presidential office, Ms. Jamila Afghani funder of the Karama network and deputy minister of the Ministry of labor and social affairs , Ms. Fawzia Habibi administrative and financial deputy minister of the Women affairs ministry, representative of the rural rehabilitation and development ministry, advisor of the ministry of education, Ms. Basira Basir gendor advisor of the MoE, NAU members of Herat, Balkh, Badakhshan, Kunar, Takhar, Kandahar, Paktia, province, members of the Karama network in Kabul, Parwan, Maidan Wardak, Jalalabad, Balkh, Takhar, Badakhshan and Herat province participated.
Brief Report of National Conference on support and advocacy for the EVAW Law from perspective of Islam:
Karama Network conducted a conference by name of national conference on support of EVAW law from the perspective of Islam on 13th , 14th of October 2015 from 8:30 am until 03:10 pm for two days in MoWA , Zainab Hall by participation of three hundred sixty one person including women, Ulema, intelligentsias, civil society activists, advisors of the presidential office, ministers, deputy of the ministers, gender authorities, teachers, scholars, students, collectors and other employees of the governmental and non-governmental organizations and signed the scroll by 1000 people across the country in support of the EVAW law.
In this conference minister of women affairs Ms. Dilbar Nazari, Ms, Habiba Wahaj gender advisor of the presidential office, Ms. Jamila Afghani funder of the Karama network and deputy minister of the Ministry of labor and social affairs , Ms. Fawzia Habibi administrative and financial deputy minister of the Women affairs ministry, representative of the ruler rehabilitation and development ministry, advisor of the ministry of education, Ms. Basira Basir gendor advisor of the MoE, NAU members of Herat, Balkh, Badakhshan, Kunar, Takhar, Kandahar, Paktia, province, members of the Karama network in Kabul, Parwan, Maidan Wardak, Jalalabad, Balkh, Takhar, Badakhshan and Herat province participated.
Report of the National conference on support of the EVAW law:
National conference on support of the EVAW law started on Tuesday 13th October 2015 on 08:00 am started.
The program arranged and organized by the Karama network members, then the participants’ registration started and also participants filled the attendees list, Karama network members distributed to the participants a package full of stationary, printout of the report on EVAW law, Gender Research report and biography book of the participants, brochure and pen.
After welcoming of the participants the conference started by recitation of Holy Quran by Qari Saheb Abdul Shukoor Huzori and then the technical colleagues played the national anthem,
According to the agenda Mr. Fazul Ghani Kakar Project manager of the Karama network had a speech on aims and goal of the conference; he said that; one of the main aims of this conference is support from the EVAW law from the perspective of Islam, moreover haring of the analytical report from the perspective of Sharia.
Mr. Kakar continued that, Karama network have conducted several awareness training workshops about the the EVAW law, in Kabul, Parwan, Maidan Wardak, Paktia, Badakhshan provinces.
Also Karama network shared the gender research report about the existed gaps in gender departments of the governmental and non-governmental organizations with the public and governmental departments for their awareness.
In addition according to the agenda Mr. Zarif Alam Stanekzai one of the lawyers that have worked on EVAW law report from the perspective of Islam said in a part of his speech that;
We added the (Shighar) word in EVAW law that, Shighar is illegal from the perspective of Sharia, but according to the Ahnaf religious, it is legal when we recognize dowry for her).
After that Ms. Fawzia Habibi, Deputy Minister of the Women affairs thanked karama network for their support on EVAW law and taking the vote of Alazhar on this law.
She said that this law needs to be implement not to pass, every law when gets enacted it needs to raise awareness of the public among the law.
Mr. Shafiq Shahrani advisor of the rural development ministry said that;
Ministry of Rural rehabilitation and development has prepared the women safety policy in work area and will share it with MoWA soon. We empower women to have main participation in development of the country especially in the villages we have development councils if the head of the council be a man his deputy is a woman.
Ms. Faieqa Jawed Head of the gender department of the Commerce gave her comprehensive speech in conference.
At the tea break time of the conference, Karama network employees signed the scroll on support of the EVAW law by participants.
Ms. Jmaila Afghnai Deputy Minister of the Labor and Social Affairs, Martyrs and Disabled, funder o the Karama network also had a speech in this conference she said that, the EVAW law report has shared with the Islamic world scholars such as Alazhar intellectuals.
One of the professors Ms. Laila Alzwini from Libya said that this law is not only the achievements of afghan but it is for women of all countries of Islam, this law must be passed by parliament and get implement in society and this is possible when we women get united and have the support of our brothers (male members of the country).
In continuation of the conference Ms, Habiba Wahaj gender advisor of the president office, Ms. Rangina young journalist of Kandahar province, Mr. Abdul Sattar Hayat advisor of MoE, Ms. Zufnoon Directorate of Badakhshan Women’s Affairs department had speech according to the agenda.
After the lunch and prayer break Mr. Fraidon Aziz, trainer of the Karama network talked about the activities of the project such as training workshops in Kabul and other provinces of the country for the participants.
Ms. Shahla Hadid, Directorate of the Balkh women affairs department, Mr Naiem Qaderi employer of the WaW organization talked on the issue of agenda.
At the end of the first day of the conference Mr. Kakar wrap-out the issues of the conference in some following points:
- Support from the EVAW law was in speech of every person who talked in this conference.
- Islam religion has clear position with all forms of violence against women that will not permit any violence.
- In this way all segments of society, government, and civil society, public should give hand to hand and fight against violence.
- Articles of the EVAW law are not against the Islam but it needs to raise public awareness among the people.
At the end of the first day of the conference M&E forms distributed among the participants, in a result all of the participants were satisfied with the first day of the conference.
Second day of the conference 14/10/2015:
The second day of the conference started by recitation of Holy Quran by Ms. Nilofar one of the participants. After that Mr. Saiqal one of the participants recited Nat Sharif to the participants of the conference.
After that Ms. Gul Jaan Quraishi Heda of the gender department of the Ministry of economy, Mr. Allah Yaar one of the NAU members from the Kunar province, Mr, Mohammad Sarwer Tawhidi NAU member and Imam of the Hazrat Ali Mosque spoke according to the agenda.
Mr. Taj uldin, member of the NAU from Badakhshan province of Afghanistan, Talked according to the agenda, in a part of his speech he mentioned that” woman from the perspective of Islam have the intehernce right, education right, property right and the choice right, but our male member of the society are not accepting these rights of women, today men are going to Haj without paying of his wife dowry without paying of his sisters, mothers Inheritance so their Haj is not halal.
After the tea break participants divided into 5 groups, and the topic of discussion of these groups recognized followings are the opinions of the 5 groups’ according to the topics:
How can we support from the EVAW law?
1st Group opinions:
- Advice and gain the support of religious scholars for enlightening of the minds.
- To support the implementation of the Law on Elimination of Violence we should do advocacy.
- Inclusion of the law on Education curriculum of the Ministry of higher Education and education.
- Having of the implementing and monitoring mechanisms for the implementation of the EVAW law.
- Awareness at the community level.
- Talk about the EVAW law in events in the presence of media.
- Prevent corruption in the process of implementation of the EVAW law.
- De-scale family violence.
- Public awareness in society through the districts leaders.
- Conducting of the Conferences at the centre and provinces.
- Raising awareness sessions through organizing workshops, seminars, conferences in accordance with Islam.
What is the civil society responsibility according to the EVAW law?
2nd Group opinions:
- Capacity Building
- Making or collecting of violent incidents data.
- Public awareness, particularly in the districts and in villages.
- Putting pressure on implementation of EVAW law.
- Broadcasting of the violence case through the media
- Islamic trainings or awareness by Ulema through the mosques.
- Employment of lawyers for violence cases for free.
- Plan to reduce violence against women to the concerned departments.
What is the responsibility for religious scholars about the women rights from the perspective of Islam?
3rd Group opinions:
Ulema and scholars in society especially in Schools, mosques have sufficient role, because Afghanistan is a conservative society and people have respect to their words.
- having speech during the prayer time or after that in mosques.
- Propagation in remote areas, villages by Ulema
- Teaching in schools about Quran with translation by increasing of the timetable of the classes.
- Increase the religious schools by leading of women.
- Teaching women by women.
- Creation of the mobile groups by support of the government and scholars to teach, raise awareness of women’s rights and Keep track of performance from speech to action.
- Awareness of women’s rights in line with Islam.
- Notify the children and youth about their parents’ rights.
What are the responsibilities of government, civil society about the women education rights?
4th Group Opinions:
- The first step is to make the government provide security for women.
- Create training centres for women, particularly Dar ul ulum and build dormitories in central and remote provinces of the country.
- The government is responsible to hire good cadres for the female among their selves.
- Raising awareness about women’s access to education through the mosques by scholars and the media (video and audio media).
- Upgrade primary schools to high schools in rural districts.
- Article 43 of the constitution is saying that “the government is bound to the field of education for the citizens of Afghanistan to provide free of charge until the end of the second period, otherwise the civil society is required to provide”.
- Create literacy courses for women who have remained illiterate
- Create and providing training, education within or outside of the country, especially Islamic countries.
Discrimination, violence in the family, community, workplace, place of education and its adverse effect
5th Group opinions:
- In the family:
- Violence is the source of the injustice and inequality between the wives and husbands.
- Low levels of literacy.
- Discrimination between girls and boys.
- Forced marriages.
- Not giving of the inheritance rights for women.
- Not giving of the education rights to the girls from their family side (parents).
- Creation of complexes that cause mental and physical side effects.
- In the society:
- It causes propaganda in society.
- Family and community violence and discrimination is the cause of the backwardness of society.
- It will cause hypocrisy and disbelief in society
- Leave a negative impact on individual and social ethics.
- Social inequality.
- It will reduce community confidence.
- Poverty is a key factor of violence in society.
3. At work:
- It creates Low-interest and lack of attention to the work activities
- It makes complex among the staff.
- It will cause hypocrisy and disbelief in an organization.
- It will prevent the progress of the capacity building of women’s.
4. In Education environment:
- It will disrupt the physical spirit of intellectual and students.
- Makes the capacity of students is low.
- It will create immoral behaviour among the students and will integrate the right of the students.
After the group work the participants for an hour had tea break and prayer break and after that one person from the groups shared their opinions to the all participants of the conference.
In main while, Ms. Dilbar Nazari Minister of Women affairs shared his points with the participants;
She express thanks to KNAHR, for working in area of women rights she said that” your support is strength for for the MoWA, to implement this law” one of the hundred tasks and achievement of us is that we token this law to the cabinet.
She continued that my support for raising awareness of the public regarding to the law is with
KNAHR. Her Speeches welcomed by the participants.
After that Mr. Kakar shared the official letter of the MoE with the participants “Ministry of
Education ordered all the schools about giving awareness on decreasing of violence
Against women” (the letter is attached with the report).
Some individual point of views of the participants in the national conference regarding to the violence:
- violence will have role in backwardness of the country
- in working area violence have side effect on commitment of the staffs
- In learning areas it affects the capacity of the teachers and will make them lazy.
- One of the reasons of the violence is poverty.
- Forced marriage, discrimination between girl and boy, violence of woman on woman, ethnic discrimination are one of the causes of the clashes in schools, universities and working areas that have side effects on relation of persons in society
- Violence in a family between wife and husband is causes the children future and this violence will transfer to the outside like school, university and finally and it will cover all the society.
- Discrimination is illegal from the perspective of Islam
- To decrease the phenomenon of the violence first of all we should start from ourselves then family and working area.
- Implementation of the Islamic orders in family, working area will help in reduction of violence.
- Conducting of the violence against women seminars will help in elimination of violence.
- Propagation in mosques and schools will help in reduction of violence.
- Short clips of the shows by media will help in decrease of violence.
- One of the participants said that; I am a teacher I can talk 5 minutes about the violence side effects with the students in my classes, students will transfer my speeches to their family and this is useful for elimination of violence.
- By conducting of the seminars where male and female have equal participation
- By Ulema we can eliminate violence’s because our society is a traditional society and Ulema have good role in our society.
- By school teachers and university professors we can have food effect in elimination of violence.
- We can achieve the people trust on EVAW law by conducting of the workshops for the governmental and non-governmental staff and sharing the implementation benefits of this law to the families, but for this work we need first of all security in country.
- Rising of the capacity of the women in remote areas, villages.
- If we want to support from the EVAW law, we should train the male member of the family about the given rights of the women according to Islam, women know about their rights but as we have manhood society therefore, women can’t take their right from their brothers, fathers and husbands.
- Discrimination in working area between men and women.
- Incorrect conflicts between male and female in a organization.
- Violence of male or female in working area because of her high position
- Violence of husband toward wife.
Karama Network for supporting Advocacy and human rights after completing components issued a final resolution to this plan, which was approved unanimously by participants:
- Karama Network is supporting the EVAW Law In line with its approval by the National Assembly, the legal references and full implementation by the institutions of justice; will do not hesitate to provide any kind of action.
- Karama network wants that this law find its independency, to exist independently in society beside the other laws.
- Karama network recommends forming of a council by name of “support from the EVAW law” by participation of representatives of MoWA, MoJ, MoHE, MoE, MoHE, MoIC, religious leaders, MPs, and civil society to evaluate from the implementation process of EVAW law.
- Ulema, Imams, preachers and elders of the community should help us by spreading out from the meaning of the EVAW law articles in Friday sermons to eradicate the culture of violence in society.
- The mass media, especially visual media, in conjunction with the provisions of the Law on Elimination of Violence against Women, through performances and allegorical scenes video for the institutionalization of the law in society can cooperate.
- Having a knowledgeable and balanced society is the wish of every citizen of this country. Therefore, to this, the Ministries of Education and Higher Education include the EVAW law for further understanding of the students to have an open minded younger generation.
- Civil society and the international community in order to raise public awareness in society should support the educational programs such as seminars, workshops and conferences related to the law of Islam across the country.
At the end KNAHR network rewarded 47 female for their hard work in civil society, women rights and human rights also some certificates distributed to the Karama network employees that implemented the project smoothly.
Evaluation of the conference at the end:
At the end KARAMA network evaluated he conference by the filled M&E forms that given to the participants during the conference, followings are the points which the participants mentioned and wrote in their forms:
- We should create job vacancies for those who are working for the elimination of violence against women in society, to work better.
- If our people do not know about the sharia orders, Quran and hadith violence against women will not decrease, it means we should open the people mind by giving awareness; this awareness should not only cover Kabul it should be for all provinces.
- Security and economic problems, self-sufficient families, participation of women in hijab in social works outside of the house, spread violence issues through mass media, awareness sessions through seminars by scholars of religion, Mullahs, imams in Friday sermons and other religious days and national days.
- Awareness of the EVAW law and enforcement and prosecution of criminals.
- Hiring of educated mullahs and have in Islamic understanding of Islamic in mosques.
- Conducting of the awareness workshops for both male and female.
- Identifying of a suitable Islamic veil by the Ministry of Hajj.
One of the major challenges were not participation of the guests that their name were written in agenda to have a speech in particular issues, as we had previous plan to avoid these kind of challenges we changed the agenda and brought new topics on it.
The second challenge that we faced were, high number of the participants in second day of the conference. Alhamdulleh we have not faced any propaganda by having a good leadership.
- Creation of a clear mechanism for implementing and monitoring of to implement the EVAW law.
- Achieving of the advice and support of the Lawyers and scholars to raise public awareness on implementation of EVAW law and elimination of violence from community.
- Adding the culture of the non-violence as a big title in schools and universities curriculum.
- Creation of positive Mentality in people regarding to the support of law.
- Imams in mosques and other religious leaders in their sermon explain regularly to the people about the articles of the EVAW law.
- Implementation of the EVAW law through the implanters’ organs, and making of the law controller and observing organ independently.